This is the classic meditation technique, practised the world over for thousands of years. Dinosaurs probably did it.
All you’re going to do is focus on your breathing…
- Sit somewhere quiet where you won’t be disturbed. This can even be the toilet if you’re having a crazy day.
- Set a timer or alarm for five minutes.
- Sit upright in a comfy position and close your eyes if you’re okay with that (some people freak out).
- You don’t have to breathe in any particular way. Just focus your attention of what it feels like to breathe.
- One breath in, and one breath out. One breath at a time.
- Notice where the sensation is strongest. Is it in the rise and fall of your belly, through your nose or the top of your lip? The point is to feel the breathing process, not to describe it to yourself.
- When you get distracted (and you will within seconds) just gently go back to feeling your breath.
When your alarm or timer pings, that’s you now a member of our bollocks free mediation tribe! Let us know how you go on.
We’ll cover loads more types of meditation in our blog and up-coming book.